Thursday, December 7, 2006

Confused!

This is the time of the year when most of us are filling in university applications, choosing streams, subjects, majors. Some of you are really focused. You have identified your strengths. You know what you want to do. You know which job would give you the most satisfaction. You know what you want from life.

What about the rest of us? I HATE the idea of not knowing what I want. Agreed, in the first year of university everyone does a generalized course and one can choose a major in the second year after an exposure to the varied subjects available. That’s what I like about the US/Canadian universities- flexibility.

But why waste time? I can’t imagine not being focused…not knowing what I want. But then again im exploring myself… my dreams. That’s more important. Knowing what I really want!

If you ask me right now randomly – “what to do want to do with your life?” I wouldn’t hesitate and would tell you that I want to travel. Yes travel. That’s what I ache for. But that’s not a job! How the hell can I make a living of that!? Traveling needs money. Money means I need to work. Need to save. Hence a real money fetching job required!

Ok, let’s say I work initially. As per the subjects I have chosen in the universities, I may end up in marketing, finance, banking or opening my own business. So lets say im doing one of these jobs, I earn a sufficient amount, leave the job, fulfill my desire to see the world, explore, travel. Now what happens if I run out of money? Getting a job again is difficult. You can’t just show up at an organization and expect to be offered a job, not after months of just traveling for your own satisfaction and months of inexperience. There is cut throat competition everywhere today. Things do not come easily. So there I am… stuck!

But there is another side to me, which leaves me confused. I want to work. I want to see how far I can go. This is what leaves me in the dark – I wouldn’t mind working in an office, a closed environment. Yet at the same time I love being outdoors, traveling, going to new places. How is that possible? Will I not be able to figure out what I want until I try it out for myself?

I have discussed this many a times. I have got responses like-

"Work like everyone and go for a trip once in year during your break." But then, travel once a year only?! Can’t I make a living doing something that involves traveling?

Others have said- “Work. Earn enough so that you have more than enough to last you a lifetime. Then travel.” Yea right! By that time ill have a stick in my hand and hobbling around …forget traveling!

The only solution I can think of right now is – get married to a rich guy, blow all the money on what I want… traveling, shopping and eating. =) Sounds interesting? Wow…

[Lost in my dream world]

*snap*

[Coming back to reality]

“Ankita, who are you kidding!?"

8 comments:

Romit said...

thank god... u said "blow all the money " !!! For a moment there... anyway

Yea true... same case here man... thats why i am going for int. business hoping to travel a lot...if that does not work out ...there is always Africa.
will disclose that secret later to u.

Anonymous said...

hey ankita....
fianally checked out ur blog..wanted to see wat the whole buzz was about...but
its awesome.!!.so thought id comment on it too...considerin the fact that ud bug my life until i did!!
anyway...about ur entry today...its soo true..! but don forget..unlike urself there r other ppl who are cluless about the future..any guesses??...yes..MEEE!!.:( but don worry...everythin will work out for u fine..!!
oh btw..awesomeee runnin 800m today..but we all know which house stole the show...hehe..!
anyway..cant wait for saturday..... AIL AIN..HERE WE COME!!!...its gonnna be soo much funn!!

nikeeta said...

hey ankss!!
we have already had a discussion about this 2day.
Get married to a rich guy anks thts the only option!! tld ya on da phone also!

Thts da best option eva..trust me!! you can travel how much eva you want and wherever you want!! you can travel the space alsooo!!!

know exactly how u feel as even i am clueless about my future!!

but i hope you get the opportunity to fulfill this dream of urs sooner or later in ur life. Even though you have to get married to some filthy rich guy!!

P.S.- looking forward to the Al Ain trip!!!!

Anonymous said...

travelling..! ah, i really do love it too. one of my dreams used o involve just travelling all over the world, going to south america, especially to the amazon, or going to turkey, or something like that. i still have the hope that one day, i will visit all these places.. and who knows, maybe i will! so, keep hoping, and u never know, one day, u just might.
as for not knowing what to do... u aint the only one! i have no idea what im gonna do after college... but thats a farrrr away.. so ill figure it out later.. and so will u!

ankita said...

Romit, taking up International Business is not the answer to that problem.

International Business just means that you take a language in addition to your subjects and you study for a year abroad in one of the countries they offer you. They focus more on a specific region.. the region you are interested in. International business offers candidates an opportunity to acquire a business degree with a global perspective. Thats all. How does that help?

Romit said...

No. anks.. int. business is mainly consists of business management or admin. on a global scale along with a specified lang. gain bigger markets.

u said it ureself...."International business offers candidates an opportunity to acquire a business degree with a global perspective."

plus it depends on my job...not my course....hopefully i would get a job which would fulfill my needs.

Anonymous said...

heyy! considered TRAVEL journalism? or even an executive job like an investment banker that involves lots of country hopping :)and i have to say that we've all been told at school that by the time we've graduated and gotten jobs, globalisation will have taken its full effect in that we are expected to be changing jobs and homes as often as every year! dont give up on that travelling bug! (or looking for that perfect RICH guy for that matter ;) love loads x

ankita said...

Hey Ishikaa! Yea I have thought about investment banking...but havn't decided on anything concrete yet. Thats why confusion. As for travel journalism, I don't think I will do well in that line. So, no.

I guess I have to just wait and see...